Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Striper Fall Run

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Striper Fall Run

Post  kingfishking on 11/4/2013, 6:38 pm

Well I don't know if this is true with everyone but there seems to be an absence of a fall run on stripers this year. I know people up north in Connecticut and they said was a sad year so far barely any around and all on the small size and stories from farther north such as Massachusetts and Maine said the way the water temps are their done for the year and there wasn't many caught this year. So here is my thoughts on why there seems to be a lack of stripers this year in size and quantity. Well for one fishing stories I have heard and have seen pictures for proof is that there are an abundant number of bluefish this year, giant schools of them and huge ones up to 40 inches or more so are these giant schools of blues causing the absence of stripers due to them eating all the food therefor creating no food source for the stripers making them move farther offshore in search of food. Also are these giant bluefish possibly eating some of the stripers which can be very possible. What makes me think its caused by blues is also the absence of bunker pods off the beaches which are usually commonly seen this time of year. So my one theory is the number and size of bluefish are causing the stripers to find a new food source possibly farther offshore or farther south. My other theory is there was an environmental change that we don't know about that was cause by Sandy which is possible cause we don't know how that storm effected the underwater wildlife. So those are my thoughts if you don't agree with me thats fine I just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see if anyone else thinks some of this is possible as well.
kingfishking
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 458

http://www.mtlmfg.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Striper Fall Run

Post  smitty on 11/4/2013, 7:39 pm

I value your thought as feel some could very possible I would love to hear what others think about this also

smitty

Number of posts : 4699

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman on 11/5/2013, 8:13 am

well speaking for my self.......i tend to belive its a lack of conservation for the stripe bass......ive seen the slaughter in montauk last year....also seen pics of a truck tailgate with bass spralled across the back of it.......im mean how many bass do you need.....things cant be that bad that ya need to stuff your freezer with that much fish.......and i hope the fellas that post pics of the bass they catch realy eat them and not post a pic of look at me.....but on the other side it also might be the fact that superstorm sandy has changed things a bit time will tell......the middle of november is generaly the highlite of the run......yea i was in montauk this year and there wasnt much of a way of any fish around DEAD for the surf guys........i practice catch and release and take a pic of the fish before returning to the ocean sure hope its not like the 80's starting all over again.......anyway lets hope the bass come in close....but its been a slow season for HANDY

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Ahab on 11/5/2013, 9:46 pm

I think this is a little gloom and doom! Surf fished with a well know charter capt. last night and he is having one of best years in a long time - limits plus every trip with loads of fish over 20 lbs.

Watched a video of hundreds of bass attacking sand eels right off Belmar 0 crazy big blitz!

I have been picking at the bass more in the river then the surf - a few nights of over 30 fish but mostly 2-10

Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat on 11/6/2013, 12:44 am

I agree the larger fish seem far and few between. On the plus side the shorts seem to be just as plentiful as ever. Conservation is key. I am all for the proposition of a slot limit. It seems to have done wonders for the reds.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top