Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Bento Bait Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bento Bait Review

Post  Bob77 on 4/10/2013, 3:49 pm

Lunkerhunt Bento Baits are fairly new to the over saturated fishing lure market.

With that said, I will hand it to Lunkerhunt on being able to stand out in such a crowd. These lures are unique and caught the eye of many anglers.
I'll break my review into 2 parts

Bait Appearance:

These minnow style baits have been quoted in a field & stream article of being “the most realistic baitfish imitators on the market.” That said the baits are made with a durable clear plastic which helps bring light to its most unique feature. The holographic core, which glimmers like real fish scales when the light hits it. The details and eyes look great and the available color patterns give you the ability to fish them in all water conditions.

Bait Performance:

The reflectivity is incredible. This minnow has the reflectiveness of a spoon but fished like a soft bait. The slightest twitch/movement really brings the Bento to life. To my surprise I discovered the holographic core is not just for looks. It also adds structure. After a few bites from tempted bass, the bait was a little beaten up, but the fabric core held the plastic together in the way rebar binds concrete.

Using the 3" on a ball head jig, I caught quite a few perch and blue gill.
Dropshotting the 4.5" I was able to reel in a largemouth bass and a few smallmouth bass.

My only gripe is that the clear plastic tends to get foggy with use, but that is common among all baits with clear plastic.

Bob77

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Bento Bait Review

Post  Captain Ahab on 4/10/2013, 7:01 pm

Nice review - how do they compare with say, a Money Minnow or Bobby Garland bait?>
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob77 on 4/11/2013, 4:07 pm

Captain Ahab wrote:Nice review - how do they compare with say, a Money Minnow or Bobby Garland bait?>

I've never used any Bobby Garland baits so I can't speak on that, but in comparison to a money minnow the main differences are in movement and visibility.

The Lunkerhunt Bento is a flexible, yet solid bodied bait where as the Yum Money Minnows are hollow bodied swim baits with swim tails.
If you like that swimming/wobble movement that you get with swim tail baits than money minnows are for you.

The Bento is better used when dropshotting or using a weighted jig head. It has a split tail, which allows it to dart around in the water easier.
Again there is also the holographic core, which shimmers brighter than that of a Money Minnow.

If you prefer swim baits, I know this company has one called a "swim 'n' jerk". You can probably find it on their website.

Bob77

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Ahab on 4/11/2013, 8:43 pm

Thanks - good review!
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down