Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

New today.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New today.

Post  Montauk Mike on 11/20/2012, 8:48 pm

Hi guys new friend from SOL suggested I might to join in here so here I am. I am based in the UK and have been fishing in the USA for the past 15 years in Montauk and Cape Cod. My passion is Stripers and I plug fish and increasingly these days I fly fish for them with both single and Two hand rods. I enjoy really engaging with the ocean and have adopted the wet suit now over std chest waders. Montauk in the fall and Cape Cod in the spring its tough to decide which I prefer. I still Bass fish in the UK but based in the midlands the effort is increasingly becoming not worth it. Hope to be able to contribute to this community.

Mikey.

Montauk Mike

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: New today.

Post  smitty on 11/20/2012, 11:16 pm

Welcome To SBO

smitty

Number of posts : 4699

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkC on 11/21/2012, 8:16 am

Welcome To SBO Mike glad you found us.

Mark
MarkC

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkC on 11/21/2012, 8:18 am

Last edited by MarkC on 11/21/2012, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post sorry)
MarkC

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Ahab on 11/21/2012, 9:22 am

Sweet! Welcome aboard

BTW

This is NOT SOL
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  STRIPERTED on 11/21/2012, 9:58 am

Welcome To SBO
Look me up in the spring if your going to be @ the cape I spend a lot to time down there
Very Happy

STRIPERTED

Number of posts : 722

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmythegreek on 11/21/2012, 10:08 am

not a fan of SOL cheers

Jimmythegreek

Number of posts : 64

http://tinboats.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat on 11/21/2012, 10:27 am

Welcome To SBO

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 11/21/2012, 11:58 am

Guys,
Thank you all for your warm welcome and the offer to link up for some fishing in Cape Cod.

I guess I heard the message that this is not SOL But thought you guys might like some background info as to how I got here. Every forum has its own culture. I enjoy diversity. I mean dare I mention I am also a member of the UK Bass Society and also have been known to visit The Lure Forum in the UK. Its a good job I am officially retired or would have no time for this caper. Mind very soon I hope to be very much at work but this time work that I have a passion for and really floats my boat. Talking of boats I best get it off my chest now that mostly I don't fish from boats, I am a Surfie. Die hard one at that.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Ahab on 11/21/2012, 7:26 pm

STRIPERTED wrote:
Look me up in the spring if your going to be @ the cape I spend a lot to time down there

Understatement of the year!
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 11/21/2012, 8:06 pm

I get just two short weeks. But try to be on the Cape for those big tides late May. This was vital when I used to fish the Canal But this year I went fly only but the flats fishing on the North side fish much better over spring tides.
I wish more Brits could make it over although I know of at least 8 or 9 who try and get over each year.

I roam all over the Cape and my life becomes governed totally by tides and light levels. I don't work to normal time tables.

I have found it over the years very difficult to meet up as if on fish who wants to leave them and I don't fish in bars or car parks or do practice casting during the day when often I am asleep.

But sometimes it works out and it is great to hook up with some of my American friends. In fact its usually a blast.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman on 11/21/2012, 9:43 pm

welcome montauk mike i fish the cape.... go in the spring fish brewster or where ever.....i like the ponds at night.......say theres a place in chatum.......damb good joint i forgot its name but they make a mean britto for breakfast......might be heading there this spring to flyswat

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel on 11/21/2012, 11:32 pm

Welcome To SBO look forward to seeing your reports and posts ...GOTTA LOVE MONTAUK
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5197

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL on 11/21/2012, 11:46 pm

Welcome To SBO
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 11/22/2012, 12:56 pm

handyman wrote:welcome montauk mike i fish the cape.... go in the spring fish brewster or where ever.....i like the ponds at night.......say theres a place in chatum.......damb good joint i forgot its name but they make a mean britto for breakfast......might be heading there this spring to flyswat

Handyman,

When you say ponds do you mean fresh water kettle ponds or the sea as in back bay.

Brewsters is one of my favourite flats although this May/June it was stuffed full of tiny tiny Bassletts.

My first love I guess are the Backside beaches. Heads of The Meadow, Coast Guard and Marconi plus Nauset Inlet. Big powerful beaches with at times lots of good structure. I now mostly fish fly on the Cape even though at times this means less fish and smaller to boot. But I do fish all over and the South Side has some great spots to.

I don't know the place in Chatham you refer to but have found my own great place for breakie. Dino's A man could get fat eating in places like these.

Monatuk this year was very poor for me. We arrived a few days after the Albie action had died and he Stripers had moved west. Nothing much happened then for the next 20 days. We had a couple of good North Easters and just about managed to fly fish in them we did badly but a couple of American friends of mine bailed fish close in of one of the reefs for 3 days. Thats Montauk for you eats you up and spits you out. I love the place.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK on 12/27/2012, 6:17 am

Hi Mike,
I'm a Brit, here in Somerset, UK. You'll have to tell me more about these trips to the USA of your's, somewhere I've been interested in for a while but never been. I usually go to Scotland, it's where I'm from & I love it so. But I was talking with a friend about the fly-fishing in the surf for striped bass & other things over in the USA, so any info would be welcome.
Hope you had a great Christmas.
Jim.
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 12/27/2012, 7:16 pm

Jim,

I am Bass fishing in Kerry right now and wi fi is poor to crap. I would love to help you but it would be easier to do by phone.

My email is mikeroliver@virginmedia .com

I will warn you that it has become a passion for me now and I have been coming over the pond to fish Montauk LI for 15 years in the fall. You can do Montauk for about £1700 for 20 days thats the lot air fare house rental and car hire plus food based on 4 guys sharing a house. Motel will cost you more. m is combat fishing during the day but you have the place to yourself at night. I fish fly and plug.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman on 12/27/2012, 11:05 pm

hey mike yea the back bays at night where the sandeels are abundant and the striper is fussy......can hear them slurrping at night on on those ultra shrimp....yea i go in june 1st or second week....the breakfast baritto place is in chatum me and another fello Bruce C hit that place in the spring and pretty much fish just about every where....but i like the back ponds at night the salt water ones

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 12/28/2012, 7:06 pm

Ok Handyman,

Gotcha. I have never fished a salt water pond or back bay. I know I should it is just that I love the open ocean way too much. The Backside Beaches are incredible places to fly fish when you can safely get near the water.

Salt ponds are or me just too much like FW lakes. I need wind and I need surf sorry its just how I am made.

But I do also fancy fishing a worm hatch and that will cause me to cahnge my mind big time.

Might see you next June. It may sound daft but as far as I know I am the only Guy wearing a black wet suit and yellow cag jacket fly casting so it will be me please say hello.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman on 12/28/2012, 9:14 pm

thanks mike ill keep that in mind and when the time gets closer maybe we just might meet up in the cape

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Montauk Mike on 12/29/2012, 3:01 pm

Handyman,

Thanks,

I will drop you a Pm as we get into May. I stay around Harwich or Dennisport and commute from there all over The Cape.

Mike

Montauk Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  STRIPERTED on 2/8/2013, 5:45 pm

Captain Ahab wrote:
STRIPERTED wrote:

Understatement of the year!

STRIPERTED

Number of posts : 722

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top