Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Old Bamboo Surf Rods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Bamboo Surf Rods

Post  smitty on 2/19/2012, 3:53 pm

My buddy Gary hooked me up with some old school bamboo surf rods measuring around 12'....Anyone got some old pictures of guys fishing with such rods i would love to see them and any info you might know about them would be great...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

smitty

Number of posts : 4699

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Bamboo Surf Rods

Post  Bluesfish on 2/19/2012, 4:00 pm

I have one that ny dad used to fish with many moons ago. I have'nt a clue how to fish it ...would love to take it out and give it a try one day though. I'll have to take a pic of it.

Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2680

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman on 2/19/2012, 7:49 pm

nice....smitty and post a pic jeff.......maybe we can take it out like the day you and were nailing all those blue fish........id like to see it............shoot i used to have 2 wooden boat poles..... i saved the reels thow

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  sanmigrokz3 on 2/20/2012, 12:26 am

There a rod builder from Pearl River, NY in Rockland county that specializes in bamboo rods-Mike Longuil (845)-735-5516
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He should be able to give you some info on these rods.

sanmigrokz3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 on 2/20/2012, 2:32 pm

i went dumpster diving at work last year for a bamboo boat rod and reel. still has the manufacturers name on it. i just wiped it off and hung it on the wall. i will have to look at the name. smitty those rods are the coolest. 3 guides and a hose clamp for the reel. doesnt get any better. i will bet those rods have seen some incredible sights and caught some great fish. and we go so far overboard building these high tech rods now. you have to use them one day.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty on 2/21/2012, 8:08 am

Oh you know it dozer i will be out giving them a cast for sure...

smitty

Number of posts : 4699

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 on 2/21/2012, 10:15 am

the best would be a picture with a fish on one of them, that would look great. i was driving to a friends last night and passed a yard with a huge area of bamboo. i am tempted to get some and dry it and make a rod from bamboo with all new components on it. old technology with new technology mixed in. i may try it this spring. wont cost much and would look cool.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  JayDizzle on 2/21/2012, 11:39 am

I got a chance to stop at Smitty's and check these out. Really cool for sure. They are not a "split-cane" rod that you normally see for fly fishing, but full round lengths of Calcutta bamboo with a makeshift reel seat and some eyes wrapped on. My guess is they weren't a mass produced thing, but just something someone whipped up in their garage way back when. Working in the bamboo industry, this is something I wanted to see done for a while now. I think these would be awesome for chucking 8 & bait. The action bamboo has in it's natural state is amazing. It would have no problem holding up to a trophy sized fish.
Good stuff Smitty!
JayDizzle

Number of posts : 366

http://www.facebook.com/decarlojason

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top