Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Fish Hawk Report - 10/2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fish Hawk Report - 10/2

Post  Fish Hawk on 10/3/2010, 10:35 pm

The past few years we have started targeting fall stripers in the first week of october. Not the big migratory girls, but the resident fish who hang out all year for a few years before joining the migratory pack. As we all know that last frontal system that came through really messed things up. Moisture from the florida pan handle up to new england and dumped some serious rain fall. The clarity of the bay didnt worry us, it was the availbility for fresh bait. Called 3 places within spitting distance of the marina. No one had anything worth picking up. Got down to the marina about 8ish and bruce had some shedder and old old bunker. So loaded up on shedder and took a few bunkers just for the hell of it. Left the creek and was greeted with stiff NNW winds 10-15 with gusts up to 20. We had a falling tide so it wasnt to bad, but the current was ripping. Headed up north towards ship john and found one boat with the same idea we had. Tried anchoring up on his port side, but couldnt hook up. After a few tries said forget it, and headed south towards the drum grounds. Arrived with very little current and the boat was all over the place. One oyster cracker and small shark. Current died, sun was way up in the sky and the wind started to let up.Tide was slacked and the bay was almost calm. Headed over to delaware side and setup on a wreck. One small tog, a few gigantic oyster crackers, and a few sharks. At this point it was almost time to throw in the towel. Had about 8 shedders left, with that decided to make on more stop before headed back to port. As we pulled up to the area, noticed a bunch of bait fish being harrased either by blues or bass. So anchored up threw two lines off the back with shedder and i was up on the bow throwing a plug. On my retrieve i just so happend to look back at my rod in the holder and noticed that tap tap double over look. I yelled to riss to pick it up- little did she know she was in for an amazing fight and fish. She landed a 11lb sheepshead! just 2 and half pounds shy of the Delaware bay record!!! We quick threw the lines back in and hooked up with another fish but it came undone before we could identify it. After that the bite stopped and we had 2 crabs left. The sheepshead took a half of a shedder crab for its last meal. A new species under her belt, and on the boat!WTG BABE!
Pictures are posted up in the lady angler form check em out!
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Re: Fish Hawk Report - 10/2

Post  stevel on 10/4/2010, 8:42 am

great report tom.... cheers cheers
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5197

Back to top Go down

Post  MissRiss on 10/4/2010, 2:46 pm

i thought it was another 5 inch sea bass until that big pull when i set the hook lol!
MissRiss

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  liveforfishing on 10/4/2010, 5:09 pm

Hey Tom

Was wondering how you made out, I shoulda went Sat, Sun was a blowout. Maybe next weekend
liveforfishing

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 on 10/4/2010, 5:15 pm

great report cheers
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  lagerhelps on 10/4/2010, 6:43 pm

Nice report. Was going to go Sun because of daughters bday Sat. Small craft advisory ended up bailing. Can't wait till next weekend. Rain to cool things down this week. Clear thurs and fri water might be clear for weekend. cool looking fish. Is it good eating?

lagerhelps

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Hawk on 10/4/2010, 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone!

John - Sunday we were going to target bass...the resident are there and active. EricK got into a few last week. But no fresh bunker on sat and as you said sun was a total bust with the weather. Its up in the air right now as far as this weekend coming up. If you get out, you know where to go, just get there early enough and on the right tide youll do good.

Tom- I couldnt believe how good it was. I figured it was going to taste like drum, it was even better. All white meat, flakey and firm. It honestly tasted like crab meat cheers coated it with melted butter, then covered it with blackend seasoning and threw it on the charcoal grill on high heat for about 15 mins because they were so thick...striper is still my number one, but this is right there with it! If you get out this week, try the areas i told you and make sure you get FRESH BUNKER!!!! GOOD LUCK! Very Happy
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top