Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Fish Hawk 5/29-5/31

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fish Hawk 5/29-5/31

Post  Fish Hawk on 5/31/2010, 10:48 pm

Sat- Down to the marina super early to get on the bass. Joe had replaced my nav light(thanks joe) for me so we could get out before light.
Once again, my gps wasnt picking up any signal,so it was going to be tuff to put the boat right on the spot. Navigated with compass and depthfinder and made our way over to the darkside and setup in 30+feet of water for the rest of the outgoing.First runoff dumping line and rod is bent over. Hook up,and watched the line go right up to the anchor line(tide was slacked out)felt the fish get wrapped up in the line and snap..fish is gone.That one really hurt. Few other boats had pulled up and setup above and to my starboard side. We had a few more nocks,and light taps/runs but no commitment.Stayed untill the tide was done, and made a move back over to the NJ side near the channel on some structure and chunked the outgoing tide.I managed one short @24" and Riss bagged a 28.5" bass.(Lady Angler Forum)(. Back to the dock by 5ish.

Sun-When back at the marina on sat, bruce had told me he wouldnt have any fresh bunker for us for sunday. So changed the game plan and went for drum.Armed our selfs with a dozen live shedders and headed south about 13 miles or so from money island. Setup for the incoming and went 2 for 5 on the drum. First 3 broke off,and finally got the last two to hook up. I hooked up with a 25" pup...

And shortly after Riss hooks into a 29" pup and heavy (Lady Angler Forum) Back to the dock round 5ish.

Mon-Plan was to get up when ever and fish for a few hours,give the boat a real good cleaning and head home. Got out on the water about 1030 and headed to the wr buoy. Yes,this morning my gps was able to lock on to signal. Only 2 days late! Anyways,setup for the incoming and had a good drift. Used squid minnow bunker and shedder. Pro cut w shedder was the bait of choice. 2 shorts and one keeper @18.5" and one bluefish. Back at the dock by 2 and cleaned up the boat real nice.

We still are going to continue chasing the bass,as long as we can get fresh bunker. Great weekend! Thanks to Joe and Bruce for the great service as always!
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Re: Fish Hawk 5/29-5/31

Post  liveforfishing on 5/31/2010, 11:25 pm

Tom

Sounds like a pretty good weekend all in all. Did you keep the pups? I'm still on the fench about fishing for the big ones, I am not too keen on wormy fish. wow Might want to check your connections on the GPS, mine would do the same a few years back, was a bad coax connector. As far as the flat ones, I think they are there, just have to get the right drift conditions to get em to eat. I lost a real good one on Friday and had a 22" keeper. Sat drift sucked, but managed a 19" keeper. I'll be out there next weekend hping to score.
liveforfishing

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel on 6/1/2010, 12:24 am

great report tom ....sounds like a a fun weekend.... cheers cheers
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5197

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 on 6/1/2010, 10:29 am

GOOD REPORT BRO....... WAY TO PRODUCE!!! cheers cheers
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral on 6/1/2010, 1:36 pm

way to catch 'em up.... sucks to have break offs...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1384

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz on 6/1/2010, 5:10 pm

mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Hawk on 6/1/2010, 10:02 pm

Thank you every one for the replies.

John, yes we did. The second hook up i think was a real nice one, or so it seemed. 2 nuckle peice of shedder crab on 2/0 wide gap hook. Felt that slight tap and set the hook and ZZZZZZZZ came up to the surface as she ran off. And then 40lb power pro SNAP! Also we were using 20lb leaders Very Happy The bigger one had worms in the tail. And it was under 20lbs..Just cut around the worms and all was well. I dont see the need to keep a monster fish. 2 pups is plenty for us,i would take 3 10lbers or under, rather than one big one. I just looked on the lowrance website. As you suggested, they said to check the connection also make sure the unit is recieving 12volts. They also said to make sure im using the latest software update. which mine is two years old. So i hope its a simple update, I really dont want to get into wires and volt meters.
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top